2019 Sustainability Institution of the Year Finalist: Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla
Meritorious Blue (Benemérita Azul) - On the way to sustainable University
The BUAP has a building in an area called Valsequillo - Puebla where it was institutionalized that was called ECOCAMPUS as a high-level scientific space, while promoting a model of environmental restoration and sustainable actions, the Rector, Alfonso Esparza Ortiz, inaugurated a double solar tracker axis, the first of its kind in Latin America, which will capture more solar radiation to produce electricity and supply two buildings of this university headquarters:
- There is a reforestation area
- Analysis and learning of the engineers in renewable energies is done as a laboratory.
- Activities are carried out with botanical gardens
- It was built with rainwater collection with which the first buildings have to continue with the reduction of orientations and materials friendly to the environment
- 3,287 university students provided community service
- 10,500 trees planted
- 4 million transport services so as not to have more private transport and reduce the carbon footprint by means of transport with a monitoring system that takes out of route the trucks that do not have as much affluence and increases when they are hours of affluence
- The recycling of different wastes, 52 tons of carbon dioxide were no longer emitted into the atmosphere.
Top 3 learnings:
- As a representative of an educational vision, I believe that, in line with the SDGs, we are fulfilling goals that pay for the fulfilment of the UN from our University.
- The University continues to grow in maintaining the vanguard of quality education with innovation and social responsibility to grow hand in hand with the society.
- Today we are proud to be part of one of the best universities as the projects and technologies applied to make alliances with the UN, Climate Reality of Al Gore, Global Compact, UNESCO, Agenda 2030 become reality.
What it means to win
“Always an acknowledgment is an achievement that we are on the right track. The recognition is for each of those who believe, grow and continue to foster affection for an institution that works hand in hand with all the actors that make up a University that has: educational quality, values, ethics and social responsibility. We seek the growth of our community with the best tool "education". Sustainable Development Goal # 4”
Rector. Alfonso Esparza Ortiz