GGAA 2014 - Facilities & Services - Griffith University - Highly Commended
Growing at Griffith
Growing at Griffith focuses on three innovative biodiversity projects that builds on Griffith’s commitment to maintaining environmental integrity on its campuses:
- Showcasing regional (and campus) biodiversity through development of an app;
- Formulating and implementing new landscape strategies on our two major campuses (Nathan and Gold Coast) to showcase Griffith’s contribution to regional biodiversity, and;
- Re-vegetating 8 hectares of land, featuring a native arboretum on Logan campus.
Top 3 learnings:
- Academics, students, facilities staff and other stakeholders working together can produce innovative approaches to operational activities and enhance sustainability initiatives.
- Communicating and engaging staff in major projects leads to ownership and acceptance of new strategies and raises awareness and visibility of sustainability initiatives.
- Innovative approaches can lead to collaboration and partnerships with external parties.