Transition University of St Andrews is part of the UK-based Transition Network, and a long-lasting example of a Transition University. Launched in 2009 by a group of students, Transition University of St Andrews has continued to gain momentum, with both academic and non-academic staff involved, as well as local residents.
Through practical activities and events suggested by community members, Transition University of St Andrews help individuals and groups minimise their impact on the planet, become more self-sustaining, and strengthen community ties. The group is open to anyone living in the area of St Andrews, with projects delivered by staff at their office on East Sands and work managed by the Steering Group which is elected annually in March.
The resources downloadable from this page share some of the presentations, posters and other documents the students and staff involved within Transition University of St Andrews have created to summarise and share their key learning. They include:
- A Year in Transition Prezi Summary - Transition University of St Andrews’ example of identifying annual patterns in the academic year to help with planning of events and engagement
- Grassroots Responses
- Reflections on creating a student garden: the mediation power of Transition - Student presentation during the Keele Sustainability Conference sharing learning on how to set up a community garden on university campus.
- Spontaneity and strategy: co-designing a process for sustainability action - Transition University of St Andrews student's action research project exploring the nature and values of the local residents, and how the university can interact with them on sustainability.
- St AndRe-Use - Presentation of Transition University of St Andrews re-use project, St AndRe-Use, where unwanted items from leaving students are gathered, stored over the summer, and given to new students at the beginning of the academic year.
- University through community - Creating institutional culture
- Visions of St Andrews: An Action Research Project -Transition University of St Andrews student's action research project exploring the nature and values of the local residents, and how the university can interact with them on sustainability.
- Who am I - The roles of an academic at a sustainable university
Transition University of St Andrews were Highly Commended in the 2015 Green Gown Awards. Find their project information and video here.