Environmental Purchasing Policy
The aim of the Environmental Purchasing Policy is to prompt staff involved in the procurement of goods and services to use environmental responsibility as a factor in their purchasing decisions.
In particular for them to:
- consider goods and services which can be manufactured, used and disposed of in an environmentally responsible way
- give preference, where items are of a similar cost, to those that are manufactured with a high recycled content
- specify items that can be recycled or reused
- consider the energy usage/cost of operating equipment prior to purchase
- favour suppliers that are committed to environmental improvement
- consider ‘whole life’ costs and impacts when assessing equipment for purchase.
Specifically, the University’s Purchasing Section will:
- circulate agreements that offer environmentally friendly alternatives
- carry out an environmental assessment of the University’s major suppliers
- supply to the University’s Operating Centres, best advice on environmental issues relating to purchasing.
Contact: Mike Briggs, Purchasing and Environment Officer email@example.com